Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Black Church vs. Homosexuality: Why?

My name is Jason Fair and I am a preacher's kid. Newly. After years of backsliding and living his life on the edge, my father decided later on in life to become a pastor. He had a history of outreach work behind him and also wanted to get right with God later in life. Or it could have just been the tax break you get when you are a religious institution...but I digress.

One of the many cold Sunday mornings I would venture out with my younger brother in tow to attend Sunday Services @ Morning Star Baptist (strictly for the 20 he would give us for going), the congregation was in full swing. Praising the word of God and singing to the rafters, it was a great feeling of positivity in the room. I felt at home. Then the reverend acceded to the pulpit and began his sermon. Timely and with the backing of the choir and band, I was awestruck.

But, as the sermon came to a close and we began the closing prayer, things veered of course. I was a 16 year old closeted queer man and had enough insecurities and self esteem issues to deal with. Being the fat gay black gay kid with tits was hard enough and what the reverend said next made it a little tougher...

"Please save our youth from the demons of drug use...street violence...premarital sex....and HOMOSEXUALITY"

WHAT????? Nigga, are you serious?

I was taken aback. But I soon found out that there were a LARGE number of closeted men in the Black Church. You need to look no further than the CHOIR DIRECTOR to see a flamboyant gay man leading us all in praise.

Then, fast forward over 10 years later, I turn on my Google Reader to check the latest on what Colby Keller is up to, and I come across this story about Bishop Eddie Long and the 3 (now 4) young men who have accused improprieties against him. They allegedly claim they were his "Spiritual Sons" and would use biblical stories to coerce them into sexual acts. "Releasing his passion" as it stated on QueerClick. Then YBF, Bossip, & Concrete Loop all had reported on it previously and it spread like wildfire. A man of the cloth who had stolen money or were involved in a sex scandal is not uncommon. This was such a (pardon the pun) fart in the church moment because of his anti gay stance on well.... everything.

I think of the line from one of my favorite drag comedian/performer Ms. Coco Peru (Trick, To Wong Foo,..) once said in her stand up act. "Men that make fun of other men who suck dick...SUCK DICK!"

Hypocrisy is as old as sin and the thing that matters most in this affair is the truth. Where these really acts that took place? Did the Bishop exploit men who came to him for spiritual guidance or mentorship? The truth has yet to be told on the matter. My opinion is this....no straight man who posts pics of himself on www.GuysWithIPhones.com is looking to offer anyone council. They are trying to get some ass. :)

What do you think? Leave you comments below...
Toodles for now
- Sun One

1 comment:

iUnderEye said...

I dont know how i stumbled across this but im glad i did, as a gay guy who went to church there is a lotta hypocrisy surrounding the church.

Just be urself, do you, and you will be fine! Come check me out

iUNDEREYE.BLOGSPOT.COM